School of Rock – Day 12 – Collaboration and Growth- Part 2

SUMMARY

I learned how to choose song names, and how to learn something in-depth in a short amount of time.

LEADERSHIP ACTIVITY

I reorganized the poem arrangement, cutting out words and making it fit a 4/4 rhythm. I started working with Jared to write notes to the lyrics.

OUTSIDE (CREATIVITY & THE BRAIN)

Creative Commons image Keep calm and achieve greatness by Koka Sexton at Flickr
  • Freakonomics – How to Become Great at Just About Anything
    • “What if the thing we call “talent” is grotesquely overrated? And what if deliberate practice is the secret to excellence? Those are the claims of the research psychologist Anders Ericsson, who has been studying the science of expertise for decades. He tells us everything he’s learned.”
  • purposeful practice is the method to improving at anything. Finding an area that needs to be worked on, then set a goal, and practice that area specifically.
  • deliberate practice is constantly reaching outside the comfort zone of the student, so it requires maximum effort in order for it to be pulled off. the deliberate practice connects the weak/vulnerable neurons in the brains and strengthens them. the scientist/researcher that decided to explore her lifelong dream of being a singer was able to grow tremendously in a short span with a professional guide, and she ended up selling millions of copies of her remake.

STUDIO (SONGWRITING)

WHAT I LEARNED and PROBLEMS I SOLVED

• Sometimes things are so obvious once you learn the process behind it, much like choosing song titles.

TODAY’s ACTIVITY EVALUATION

Content (The WHAT)

Rating: OK  – 1 – 2 – 3 – 4 – 5  – HIGHLY ENGAGED

Rating: 4

Process (The HOW)

Rating: 3