School of Rock – Day 9 – Workflow

SUMMARY

I improved my workflow, and you can do it too.

CLASSROOM (THEORY & ANALYSIS)

Rick Beato explored TOOL‘s work, specifically Schism. The music starts off with a bass beat, then it separates into two different beats that work together, then evolves into individual riffs that are subdivided. Throughout the music, the drum and guitar are stronger than the vocal. The drum is rather elaborate and provides more than the bottom layer in the music.

LAB (THEORY PRACTICED)

OUTSIDE (CREATIVITY & THE BRAIN)

• Kevin Kelly Interview: Part 1 (Full Episode) from The Tim Ferriss Show (Podcast)
    • “He is Senior Maverick at Wired magazine, which he co-founded in 1993. He also co-founded the All Species Foundation, a non-profit aimed at cataloging and identifying every living species on earth. In his spare time, he writes bestselling books, co-founded the Rosetta Project, which is building an archive of ALL documented human languages and serves on the board of the Long Now Foundation. As part of the last, he’s investigating how to revive and restore endangered or extinct species, including the Wooly Mammoth.” – From YouTube video description

STUDIO (SONGWRITING)

CONTROL ROOM (RECORDING & MIXING)

WHAT I LEARNED and PROBLEMS I SOLVED

• It’s good to analyze other music and try to see why they’re so good (by having someone else do it for you), and apply it to your own music.

TODAY’s ACTIVITY EVALUATION

Content (The WHAT)

Rating: OK  – 1 – 2 – 3– 4 – 5  – HIGHLY ENGAGED

Rating: 3

The lyric writing and the musical analysis were engaging, but the rest of the videos were not new and bored me. I might spend some time looking for new videos in the specific rooms.

Process (The HOW)

Rating: OK  – 1 – 2 – 3 – 4 – 5  – HIGHLY ENGAGED

Rating: 2

I didn’t exactly have time to do school-related content during the weekend. Thus today’s process wasn’t too amazing, due to my own situation.