School of Rock – Day 8 – Leadership

SUMMARY

I deepened my understanding of songwriting and the lyric writing process. 

CLASSROOM (THEORY & ANALYSIS)

I watched the Deconstructed video on Lil Nas X’s “Old Town Road”. In the video, there’s a scene that goes through how he created the beats and the heavy thump sound and shows how he randomly placed one drum part at a time. I think the hi-hat trill(?) placement was remarkable, and it gives the song the light energy that works as both a trap and country music.

LAB (THEORY PRACTICED)

• I watched the four videos on HookTheory’s songwriting series (sultry sax song). It takes me through the steps of building a song, from bottom-up to the melody which is the final piece of the music. Thinking on this, I realized how music is developed from the ground layer yet the listeners perceive the melody as the most important.

OUTSIDE (CREATIVITY & THE BRAIN)

• Adriel Wallick’s creative process (even though it’s about game design, it’s still a great process for any creative person)
  • Time limitation is a good thing. Setting goals for yourself is doubly good. Unlimited free time is freeing in terms of workload, but terrible with how it unmotivates us.

STUDIO (SONGWRITING)

• Holistic Songwriting: Songwriting Corner
  • Holistic Songwriting: Songwriting Exercises
  • Holistic Songwriting: 5 Minute Lessons
  • I watched the Songwriting Corner.
  • Leaving gaps open may be an interesting choice for songwriters, as it leaves room for the listeners to fill in the gaps themselves.
  • Play around the piano and see if you can identify the notes in your head. find a scale around the melody you just created that portrays the mood you want.

CONTROL ROOM (RECORDING & MIXING)

WHAT I LEARNED and PROBLEMS I SOLVED

• I really like watching the processes of how professionals compile music, but I’m also shy about trying it out myself. That might be one of my interests, it would be a cool part of music production to explore in the future. 

TODAY’s ACTIVITY EVALUATION

Content (The WHAT)

Rating: OK  – 1 – 2 – 3 – 4 – 5  – HIGHLY ENGAGED

Rating: 4

The videos were substantial today, I really enjoyed them. 

Process (The HOW)

Rating: 3

I wasn’t in the mindset to be productive for the majority of the morning. I felt better after I took a break, but the process would’ve been better if I were in a better mood.